Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spiritual Discipline

Hello Everyone,
When I hear the word "discipline" the first thing that comes to my mind is OUCH!! I can remember growing up and getting disciplined a lot. I mean I had to go pick the switch my mom would use on me from the weeping willow tree that was across the street from where we lived. I had to go to that tree so often that by the time I graduated high school it was nothing but a stump. As I look back in my life I can see that the disciplining I received help to be the man I am today. Hebrews 12:7-11 talks of God's discipline for His children because He loves us as His own sons and daughters. Yes, discipline when it happens is never fun but it is good for us because of how it helps us by developing within us the characteristics God desires. Discipline is needed so that we can have the proper relationship with our heavenly Father. There are twelve spiritual disciplines I would like to focus on for the next few weeks. They are prayer, meditation, fasting, study, simplicity, solitude, submission, service, confession, worship, guidance, and celebration. The first four are considered inward disciplines, the middle four are considered outward disciplines, and the last four are considered corporate disciplines. I look forward to sharing these thoughts with you. Stay tuned!!

1 comment: